In November 2017, The East Cut Community Benefit District welcomed Downtown Streets Team (DST) to address a growing demand for homeless outreach, and to support the CBD’s Street Team efforts. With its district work experience program clearing the public sidewalks while working in a supportive team environment, Downtown Streets Team has proven to be an effective model to transition its Team Members (all of whom are homeless or at-risk of homelessness) into employment and permanent housing, while providing a humane response to a widely-spread crisis.
How DST Works
- Downtown Streets Team provides homeless and low-income men and women with the resources they need to rebuild their lives.
- DST’s Team Members volunteer to perform community service in exchange for a small stipend for basic needs. Stipends cover everything from phone service and transportation, to meals and medication.
- Through their volunteer work on the streets of San Francisco, Team Members rebuild positive work habits, expand their skillset, further their education and ready themselves to reenter the workforce. DST’s model provides cleaning and beautification service to the community—its businesses, its residents, and its guests.
- In The East Cut, five DST Team Members volunteer Monday to Friday, from 7:00 am until 11:00 am, and work side-by-side with The East Cut’s Street Team on beautification projects. The East Cut hopes to expand the program to support new Team Members slots.
- DST’s East Cut Team has assisted 1 person move into housing, and has helped 1 person secure employment for 90+ days.
- Team Members are held accountable and trusted to complete tasks, arrive on time, and work well with others on their Team. Those who show dedication and leadership skills have the ability to rise up to become Team Leads, then Managers, and supervise others with little or no supervision from staff.
Since September 2017, our five-volunteer-team removed:
- 26,720 lbs of trash
- 644 used needles
Most importantly, 4 Team Members have found long-term employment, and 2 of them have found long-term housing!
To continue partnering with Downtown Streets Team, we need your help!
The East Cut CBD needs financial support to build upon DST’s success in the East Cut.
The East Cut Community Benefit District is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization and all donations are tax-deductible.